[V8Vairs] Are There Any Engine swap Corvairs Running in Street Mod?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Aug 17 09:15:47 EDT 2006

No, you aren't reading the rules correctly :-)

*Any* engine is legal, but there must be a finished firewall.  It
doesn't say it has to be in the stock location, and yes, any transaxle
is legal.

Seats can be changed under IS rules, and you get *all* of the IS mods,
which allow for any upholstered, hinged back replacement.  Rear seat
removal is legal.

Rule 8.3.10 states "Any diameter and width rim may be used with any DOT
approved tires. Fender flaring is allowed, but fender edge bodywork
must be finished."

Rule 8.3.12 statues "V-6 and V-8 engined, Corvair-bodied cars that are
registered and licensed for street use may run this class, provided
they meet all specifications not related to engine type or location.
Limited to one four barrel carburetor. There must be an adequate
firewall between the engine and the cockpit."

That would cover cutting hole in the front.

Basically, if the car has a complete interior and is street legal, then
it is legal for SM.  Most of the street Corv8 and Corv6s I have seen
would be legal for the class.  The one change that the V8 guys need to
ask for is an allowance for fuel injection.  Something comparable to
the single four barrel limit should be in there, like "only one
throttle body allowed."

--Bryan