[V8Vairs] Adding weight

Larry larry at larryboardman.com
Sun Dec 30 19:32:55 EST 2007

I need to add about 500 lbs to the front of my Toronado powered
Corvair to keep the front end lift down. Has anyone ever tried to
fill the backside of the bumper with some molded lead?  I am also
going to add a front spoiler and move the battery up front.

The problem is 70% of the weight is on the rear, leaving very little
on the front. I want to go for about 40% on the front by placing the
weight as needed using corner scales to maximize handling.  At 500
lbs, I will have about a 60-40 balance.

On the highway the car lifts at about 70 mph and the steering gets
super sensitive.  On the street or entry ramp, the front lifts on
throttle so much the there is practically no steering. Right now I am
in the mental planning stage of items I need to address for the
spring.  Never too early to plan ahead during these cold wintery days.

Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year to all

Larry