[V8Vairs] Adding weight

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Mon Dec 31 00:08:36 EST 2007

Larry,

Try the front spoiler first - you will not believe how much this helps with front end wander at highway speeds.

Chris Wills> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:32:55 -0500> To: v8vairs at corvair.org> From: larry at larryboardman.com> Subject: [V8Vairs] Adding weight> > I need to add about 500 lbs to the front of my Toronado powered > Corvair to keep the front end lift down. Has anyone ever tried to > fill the backside of the bumper with some molded lead? I am also > going to add a front spoiler and move the battery up front.> > The problem is 70% of the weight is on the rear, leaving very little > on the front. I want to go for about 40% on the front by placing the > weight as needed using corner scales to maximize handling. At 500 > lbs, I will have about a 60-40 balance.> > On the highway the car lifts at about 70 mph and the steering gets > super sensitive. On the street or entry ramp, the front lifts on > throttle so much the there is practically no steering. Right now I am > in the mental planning stage of items I need to address for the > spring. Never too early to plan ahead during these cold wintery days.> > Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year to all> > Larry> > _______________________________________________>