[V8Vairs] Jim Acker's Transaxle

jim.acker at comcast.net jim.acker at comcast.net
Wed Jul 25 13:49:30 EDT 2007

Since I last posted about my decision to use a 4 transverse link IRS, I have done more research on the ability of the 930 transaxle to take the side loads associated with the stock IRS configuration.  Charlie Friend has been an excellent resource for me and assured me the 930 differential carrier bearings are more than up to the loads of this set-up.  Charlie raced a variety of formats, including autocross, using the stock set-up.  He now runs a late model Corvette four link IRS, but ran the stock set-up for many of the 13 years he has used the 930.  He has had the box apart on multiple occassions and has never needed to service the carrier bearings.  Like the rest of the box, these bearings are very robust and will service me well for years of aggressive street driving.
Racing is the best testing ground and Charlie's advice was to stick with the stock set-up.  I dropped the upper arms, got fixed length half shafts and I have it all back together.  Simpler and a lot less expensive than the slip shafts I needed for the 4 link.  I hope this info is useful for those of you thinking about using a 930 in the future.