[V8Vairs] Flywheel - Aluminum or Steel?

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Wed Feb 27 19:32:04 EST 2008

Paul,

My opinion - Aluminum.  The car will accelerate faster.  You may have to slip the clutch a little more when starting.  I have a 283 with Aluminum flywheel and 3.27 gears, and it seems fine to me.  Heavy flywheel is slower to accelerate, and the only real advantage is when you start from a dead stop.

Chris Wills
283 with twin turbos> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:47:50 -0800> From: paulsiano at yahoo.com> To: v8vairs at corvair.org> Subject: [V8Vairs] Flywheel - Aluminum or Steel?> > Today while working on my car, I wondered to myself which flywheel material would be best for a Crown conversion. Given the fragility of the ring and pinion, what are the pros and cons of each? I have a 3.55 non-psi 4 spider differential and a relatively low torque 283 Chevy with a stock GM flywheel. I'm not planning to make a change, but I am curious about what others may have to say.> > Thanks in advance,> > Paul> > > > > >