[V8Vairs] Optimal Ratio for a Crown Conversion?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 01:20:30 EDT 2009

In a message dated 10/18/2009 9:01:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
RHargr8188 at aol.com writes:

I'm  using 3.08 with 225/60, 25.6",  tires on the rear and it works  well
for me with a 327 engine, 3000RPM=74MPH. I do NOT try to spin the tire  but

have broke them loose, 1st & 2nd, and have not any problem  to date. I
modified, drilled and tap, a 6 bolt ring gear to match  the 9 bolt carrier
with
limited slip and 4-spider  gears.
Doug

Doug - You might have to specify which ratio Saginaw you have. Crown
offered two different ones originally. The standard Corvair 1st gear (3.11 to 1)
and the big-car standard (2.54 to 1). I believe your car is a standard 3.11
to  1. That seems like it would work fine with the 3.08 axle. As you note,
it  depends a bit on the tire diameter.  Of course, fourth gear is 1 to 1 in
 either gear set, but first gear would be more useful or less, depending on
 your intended usage. For my intended conversion, using a V6 - decidedly
less HP  or torque than a V8. But, since street driving is not the intended
usage, the  close ratio with a 3.55 might make a better track setup, actually
allowing 1st  and 2nd gear to be used.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette