<VV> Turn Cut-Out?

larry@forman.net larry@forman.net
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:39:56 -0800 (PST)

Hi Joe,
While I am not an expert on this, let me give you my thoughts:
1. I believe the turn cutout fix in Bob's book should solve this issue.  As I understand the problem, the gas sloshes up and covers BOTH
vents and does not allow venting.  This then causes the cut out.  The solution is to install the vents as in Bob's book and you really DO
need to extent the vents well below the place where they enter the carb interior.
2. I have David's ball and socket inlet valves and use these for all my carbs and carb rebuilds.  David and I had this discussion about
"solving" the turn cutout problem.  While I sincerely doubt it, I DO believe these ball and socket inlet valves are superior to the stock
inlets.  Given that they flow more they might help the recovery or keep the float levels more consistent and at the proper level.  I would
also recommend drilling out the inlet passage behind the inlet filter stones to help with the flow issue.  Note that Grant Young has larger
diameter inlet valves both in the stock "rubber" tipped variety as well as the ball and socket style and I think they are quite reasonably
priced compared to some other Corvair sources.  Unrelated to the turn-cutout issue, Grant also has stainless steel mesh inlet filters that
have lower inlet loss and might also help with this problem.
3. So I would recommend adding the turn-cutout tubes, since they are really simple and cheap to install and perform the modifications and
parts replacement in #2 above and then see if it solves your issue.
4. Beyond that, you might try some other ideas like relocating the jets as described in the Corsa Tech Guide.  I believe that Seth and
others can perform this modification.

HTH.

Larry