<VV> Electric Pumps vs Turn Cut-Out

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:49:00 EST

In a message dated 4/3/2004 12:21:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bwschug@charter.net writes:
When I ran at VIR we'd go down the main straight, then around turn one,
a long sustained turn of 180 degrees or so. About half way around the
power was gone as she was choking for gas. As soon as the turn
straightened out, it'd take off. It wasn't real bad; not like the
engine stopped or something, but it was bad enough. Years ago I ran an
autocross where we had to make a complete circle around a pole. It was
actually more than 360 degrees as we had to go completely around, then
go about another 180 degrees. As you can imagine, this was a problem.

On a freeway cloverleaf it will cut out too, if you really run it hard.
Of course I never do this as it may cause me to exceed the posted speed
limit and drive in a careless manner.

Bruce

HO HO HO - Bruce, you're such a kidder!

I remember a certain Chicago convention with a 360. The drivers hated it, but
the spectators LOVED it!

To the tech stuff.-
True, the vent tubes will almost cure turn cut-out, but tires keep getting
better, causing oil and fuel starvation. (Fuel starvation is usually better than
oil starvation, by the way!). Moving the jets or, if you are ambitious, carb
rotation, will do for all but GT3 type cornering. Many years ago, I ran my
Yenko Stinger in a circle track race at Altamont Raceway, a paved oval. (Post
Rolling Stones by a few years). Even with vent tubes, raised float levels and
banked turns, about half way through either turn, the engine would show the same
symptom. It was quite frustrating, but the gas would come back and the car
boogied on down the straights. I finished third out of more than three! They paid
real money, too. About the only money I ever earned in racing! - Seth Emerson