<VV> Putting my "new" 67 back on the road

aircooled6@prodigy.net aircooled6@prodigy.net
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:00:41 -0600

I would say: Replace "All of the above".  Youll have the axle shafts loose
to do the rear bearings, spend the extra 50.00 and do the universal joints
while you're under there.  Also, drain and refill the PG with some nice
fresh Dexron III.  A new gasket will slow down the leaks!  Hows the
alternator bearings sound?  Might be worth a rebuild kit from one of the
vendors. I got a 60 amp unit from o/reillys or autobone or somewhere and
swapped the front case and fan over.  Also replaced the front bearing with
the better appearing bearing from a rebuild kit.  It was about 29.95 with
core, Im sure they didnt notice the wrong innards.  It works fine.

The Blower bearing may be ok, but its a lot easier to replace it now than it
is alongside the freeway on the way to Lexington!

Idler bearing, Same deal.  Ill bet you can spin it like a roller skate
wheel.  If yes, its bone dry and will start throwing belts and/or making
noise.  Now, you could do the re-grease thing.  I havent tried this myself,
but......it might be ok.

Hmm..what else......brake hoses?  yep.  better do those too.  A good look at
the steel lines is essential as well.

Fuel lines?  especially the little piece of rubber in the left rear wheel
well.  Usually hard and cracked.  I put a small fuel filter there as well.

Thats the big things that come to mind.  Im sure theres others!!!!

I have a 67 500 4 dr 110/pg/ac. It is driven 20-30 miles a day, every day.
Like yours, it also sat on the previous owners back porch for nearly 9 years
before I got it.  The front wheel bearings were "making metal" just on a
spin around the block.  I replaced all of the things you listed and other
than a growl out of the replacement blower bearing (which I solved by
injecting some mobil 1 oil into it with a hypodermic needle.  It hasnt made
a sound in the 3 years since then.

Hope this helps.  I know, your wallet just groaned!!  But these are all do
once and drive for years items, if that makes you feel a little better!!!

Good Luck!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
67 500 4dr 110/pg/ac
64 Greenbrier 110/pg (waiting patiently for some $$ to magically appear in
my wallet!!)