<VV> > Engine Problem....What to do?/compression test

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:19:47 -0400

Rocker and lifter problems have already been addressed.  With no access
to a compressor and the valve cover off, what would you do?  IMHO low
compression in a cyl with the rockers backed off say "OPEN ME", no
matter what part's whistling Dixie (unless it's plug threads, ;>)

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa cvt.
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: VairMech@aol.com [mailto:VairMech@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:51 AM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: Re: <VV> > Engine Problem....What to do?/compression test

In a message dated 4/6/2004 10:09:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Mikeamauro@aol.com writes:
While a straight compression test is one
> indicator of cylinder condition, it leaves a lot of unknowns.  Doesn't

> anyone do leak-down tests anymore to determine if you have a bad
> rocker/lifter rather than just ripping the engine apart?  If I had a
> bad hole in a race engine, step two was always a leak-down!
>
> John

John...My point exactly with my previous post recommending pressurizing
the suspect cylinder, with valves in closed position, and then listening
for where the air may be leaking from (and is one has a leak down
tester, use it).
Can't understand why this tried and proven diagnostic method doesn't
seem to get an audience here.  I guess most Corvair owners just like to
tear everything down and ask questions later?

    With my experience I can do a compression test and probably tell you
what is wrong with the engine by the number that comes up on the dial.
    I can do the same thing with the leak down test with a LITTLE more
accuracy. The leak down test will take 3 times as long as a compression
test.
    With the compression test if you have a low cylinder, put 3-4
squirts of oil in the cyl. if the comprssion comes up it is
piston/rings, and if it does not then it is probably valves. Time proven
and simple.
    Ken Hand