<VV> Re: parking lites on with headlites

Tony tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:46:09 -0700

At 1506 04/12/2004 -0400, airvair wrote:
>Back then, most regulations kicked in on a calendar-year basis, not
>model year. The auto companies, most often to keep from producing two
>sets of parts for any one year, usually instituted changes (if possible)
>with the model year. This lighting requirement wasn't mandated until the
>first of the calendar year, but most companies made it standard at the
>start of the model year because the sidelights were part of it, and
>because of the aforementioned rule of thumb.
>
>-Mark
>
>Bill Elliott wrote:
>>
>> I could be wrong, but I thought it was a 1968 _calender_ year change....
meaning early  '68's (actually built
>> in '67) would not be affected. And I'll bet that's a majority of the 68's
(just a guess...)

>> I know that the importation rules start with anything manufactured on
Jan 1,
1968... don't see why it would
>> have been different for domestic manufacturers.

I'll assume that this explains the '68 Vairs with parking lights that went off
when the headlights were turned on... as did the front parking lights on my
buddy Bob's 1968 Super-Bee and mom's old 1968 Chrysler Newport.

Interestingly enough...  Mopar vehicles in '68 had marker lights, cute little
round units about the size of a half-dollar.   The marker lights were dropped
in 1969 (at least in the A and B body cars), and then were back again in
1970.   Go figger.   Now, how Ma Mopar got around those so-called mandated
lighting laws in '69 remains to be explained.

tony..