<VV> (VV) One Wire alternator -- Arjay

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:01:34 EDT

Hi Arjay,
Please see below for some info.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 4/27/04 2:32:32 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
n3lkz@yahoo.com writes:

> In Bob's Book (P. 278) he states you should use a
> three-wire alternator and not one of the one-wire
> jobbies and then there's the caveat to see a discusson
> of one VS 3 wire alterntors. I can't find that
> discussion.

Didn't look it up, but it should be in there. But here is a summary.
The Corvair's electrical system is designed to provide the correct and
desired voltage to each and every electrical component. This is done by starting off
with a known and stable voltage, and then the length of the wire and the
current taken by each device has been calculated to determine the voltage drop
allowed to get the correct voltage to each device.
So the key is starting with that known and stable voltage. In the LM Corvairs
this is the Junction Block (red thingie near the battery.) To get that known
and stable voltage, the alternator uses a sense wire from there to adjust the
alt output as necessary to maintain that voltage. This sense wire is one of
the 3 wire setup. If you don't use that, then the alt adjusts the stable voltage
right at the output of the alt. this means the vairable voltage drop in the
wires from the bat term on the alt to the junction block will give you varying
voltages at the electrical devices depending on the load placed on the alt.
You may not see much difference on either of these two hookups but the
headlight light output is very dependent on having the right voltage there. The 3
wire setup is the way the factory ensured getting the correct voltage there. Why
would you want to degrade your light output?

> Notwithstanding, My alternator guy is equipping me
> with a one wire alternator, swapping the Corvair fan
> and pulley front end, sandblasting both the bracket
> and the mounting casting all for $45.
>
> The question is, how to integrate it with the existing
> regulator/wiring??  There gotta be a way, and someone
> out there must have done it.

As soon as you wire up the dash FAN?GEN light you no longer have a one wire
setup, but a two wire setup. Why stop there? go on to 3 wires.

The two wire setup is just part of the conversion in the two documrnts I
advised you of. If you don't want to use the sense wire just don't connect it up,
but connect the idiot light up as the docs say.

Regards,
Bob Helt