<VV> group red for me - going to drop my fuel tank

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:42:06 -0500

I've not done an early other than an FC

There cannot be more than 14 gallons in there, so 3 5gal buckets should
cover you JF.  You can probably get an idea how much space you need by
putting something down the filler tube till you feel the bottom of the tank.
Pull it out and see how much of it is wet.

To siphon.  After the car is up and using about a 7 to 8ft piece of clear
plastic hose of a decent diameter, just siphon by mouth.  The clear plastic
is so you can see the gas come and take your mouth away before it gets that
far.

You MAY need the special tool for the sending unit.  Probably available at
your local FLAPS.

Evaluate the tank once you have it down.  Most of them can be saved for
about 1/4th the cost of a new one.  Even if you buy a new one, you'll want
to coat it anyway and that is where the cost is to fix the old one.

Jack stand location will be fairly obvious.  I jack on the rockers just
behind the door ('65 convert - 2 doors) which lifts the entire side of the
car.  I go about half the reach of the jack and put in stands.  Jack the
opposite side ALL the way and put in stands.  Go back to the first side and
put it the rest of the way up and reset the stands.  My jack has the large
cup and I use a piece of wood to protect the rocker.  I do NOT jack on the
pinch weld on the bottom of the rockers.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140