<VV> Re: Apparent Leak At Head Gasket

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 23:47:42 -0400

> From: Shaun <shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Re: Gasket Leak??
> > > akinzelm@greatnortherncorp.com writes:
>  there is some oil leakage - it is greatest at the head/cylinder
interface of
> cylinder #3. It doesn't appear to related to the push rod tubes.  I'd
think it is a
> head gasket, but wouldn't think it'd be oily
> > Smitty says:  That's exactly what it is Andy.
> Why would oil come out of a head gasket leak? The chances of that
> are about the same as water coming out.
> I vote for the head stud o-ring, or even a pcv to top cover o-ring.
> yea, Vairily ... Shaun
Smitty Says:  What I said was based on experience, not guesswork.
Doesn't mean I am right this time.  Doesn't mean the block cover isn't
leaking.  Doesn't mean the crankcase vent isn't leaking.  I would rather
expect that Andy would check those obvious things out before pulling the
head off.
        In answer to your comment about the water Shaun, let me ask you
this.  How many times have you pulled a head off and found the bottom of
the cylinder barrel devoid of oil?  When the engine sits the wash of oil
that is on the walls eventually pools at the bottom.  Granted not much
but it is there nevertheless.  Then when you crank the engine and the
piston comes up, where do you think the oil goes?  Right up against the
head would be my guess.  If there is any kind of a leak at that point a
tiny amount of it gets squeezed out past the gasket.  Many engine starts
and enough cooked oil gets pushed out to make a stain of gummy black oil.

        Now I have explained how I think oil would be present at the
barrel to head parting line.  All of the people on VV are now waiting
with breathless anticipation to hear how it is more likely water would
appear there.