<VV> Evil doth come

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:49:27 -0400

And who was it who warned you last week?

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Underwood [mailto:tonyu@roava.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:05 AM
To: vairologist@juno.com; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Evil doth come

I *knew* I was screwing up...

I actually began doing some cosmetic work on my daily driver '60 4-door and
was told that it was gonna fly apart or something because I dared let
sandpaper and primer touch its skin.

Today with 196,666 miles on the clock (I'm not shitting you here) a valve
seat fell out of one of the cylinder heads just as I passed Automotive
Paint & Supply Inc on Salem Ave in Roanoke VA...   as if it was an Omen or
something in retribution for the preliminary paint work I'd dared begin.

After about ten seconds, the seat managed to find its way back into the
seat pocket and the valve evidently tamped it nicely back  into place...
and the engine ran quietly through the rest of the way to the driveway.
Now I'm wondering how long before it falls out again...  mixed feelings;
don't want it to fall out but I don't know which head to remove/repair.  I
don't wanna have to remove both of them to find the timebomb seat.   And so
far it's remaining quiet and hasn't done anything wrong.    Yet.

And here I was, getting cocky about hitting 200K on the original engine.

tony..