<VV> RE: rear wheel bearings

mopar@jbcs2.net mopar@jbcs2.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:19:56 -0400

I have done the procedure 5 times, twice as "tech sessions" on other
peoples cars, no complaints. 3 times on my own, 2 with absolutely no
problems. My 65 Monza though ended up greasing the rear brake shoes. Used
up a few shop rags and a can of brake clean and all was well to this day.
Now of course we will hear from all of those who say not to do this....
Gary Swiatowy

From: "N. Joseph Potts" <pottsf@msn.com>
To: "Macdonald David" <dmacd_us@yahoo.com>, <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Subject: RE: <VV> Question re: rear wheel bearings and a project update
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:59:03 -0400

Grease fitting for the rear wheel bearings is one of many VV "footballs." I
have done it, and all I can say is that the rear wheel bearings of my 66
Corsa never gave me any trouble, up to the point in 2002 when I replaced
them as part of an exercise in which I replaced the trailing-arm bushings.
Because I used pre-assembled parts from a vendor, I had no opportunity to
get inside the bearings to which I had given this treatment, for evaluating
either the bearings or the treatment itself. I'd say it works, but you
realize that has to be a speculation.
     Right after I did it and had then driven a few miles, I disassembled
the area to inspect for grease seepage that could reach the brake shoes, and
found such seepage (short of the brake shoes). I wiped this away, drove some
more, inspected again, found no seepage, drove on indefiniitely after that
with no seepage.
     Sorry to hear about your work situation. Work sucks. Corvairs rule.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

http://mail2web.com/ .