<VV> Both Electric and Mechanical fuel pumps

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:04:54 EDT

PVanderl@mwestmp.com writes:
Can an electric pump, while shut off, allow fuel
to pass? Also does the mechanical allow fuel to pass thru while the engine
is not running? I want it to be able to fill the carbs after sitting for
several days. I would imagine this would help save on the starter.

Pat,
Yes, to all.  I have used this set up before but you must be careful of using
it
with a mechanical pump failure.  It depends on what has failed in the
mechanical
pump.  If it is valve failure it works fine but if it is a diaphragm failure
you can pump
fuel into the crankcase or out the top of the pump onto the engine and have a
potential fire.  It is really good for a car that has not been started in a
while to
prime the carbs for quicker starting.  A better plan is to eliminate the
mechanical
pump altogether and go electric only.  IMNO

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA