<VV> Upper Shroud Oil Leak

Mike Ioanes mioanes@woh.rr.com
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 01:12:36 -0400

Sam writes:    (answers interspersed)

> We have a problem with our '63 Convertible with a '66 110 engine.  The
upper
> shroud is leaking oil.
>
> Background:
> We were a mile away from our house when the fuel pump started to leak.  We
> drove the car home at about 15 mph.  After changing the fuel pump and
> starting the engine, we noticed the oil leak leaking out from under the
top
> shroud.

There are several places this oil could be coming from-most likely the
gasket under the top cover. Actually a gasket, a baffle plate and another
gasket-you need 2.

  Under further inspection, we noticed that the air filter was
> covered with oil and the air cleaner had oil inside.

Oil inside the air cleaner can be blowby from the pcv system.  This can be a
sign of rings going, or, someone told me at Lexington, part of the system
could be clogged.  I would think bad rings would show up in a compression
test.

> There is no oil residue in the tailpipe nor noticeable blue smoke.  What
> could be the problem?  Could it be a scorched piston, bad rings?
>
> We plan on taking the shroud off and examining where the leak is coming
> from, but we need to finish adjusting the lifters on the turbo and get it
> out of the garage.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam & Marissa Andolino
> mandolin@rochester.rr.com