<VV> Lifter Question (Fascinating stuff)

qcc65@charter.net qcc65@charter.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:40:57 +0000

Bob,
   And others who have this expertise. This is the VV stuff that most interest me. So I want to pick brains here.
Is there an optimum degrees BTDC to open and optimum degrees ABDC to close a valve or is this the difference between low end torque and high RPM power and can it be explained so we all understand it. What is different about intake and exhaust and their requirements. What are the effects of higher lift, pro and con, and quick closing versus slower closing of the valves. All things I have wondered about. Again, fascinating stuff.
Ron Guy

Bob Helt Wrote
<OK so reading the cam specs, B stands for before and A <stands for after and
<the number is the crankshaft degrees the event occurs. So <5B-7A means that
<this
<valve opens 5 crank degrees before TDC and opens 7 <degrees after BDC. But
<this isn't an actual stated spec, so lets look at an <actual one. Use the OTTO
<OT-30 for example. Look at the 050 in. spec for the <intake. It's 7B-35A.
<Idealized, the intake would be 0 BTDC And 0 ATDC. But to <make this cam work
<efficiently the intake valve is opened 7 degrees BTDC and <closes 35 degrees
<ABDC.

<Regards,
<Bob Helt