<VV> Lifter Question (Fascinating stuff)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:18:19 -0400

Bob's perhaps too reticent to remind everyone: much of this stuff, and lot
more like it, IS in Classic Corvair. CC does NOT limit itself to Corvair
specifics - it delves quite deeply into automotive basics that happen to
apply to Corvair as well as most other cars and trucks.
     Buy, read, enjoy, and learn. Direct from Bob, of course.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of qcc65@charter.net
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 12:41 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Lifter Question (Fascinating stuff)

Bob,
   And others who have this expertise. This is the VV stuff that most
interest me. So I want to pick brains here.
Is there an optimum degrees BTDC to open and optimum degrees ABDC to close a
valve or is this the difference between low end torque and high RPM power
and can it be explained so we all understand it. What is different about
intake and exhaust and their requirements. What are the effects of higher
lift, pro and con, and quick closing versus slower closing of the valves.
All things I have wondered about. Again, fascinating stuff.
Ron Guy