<VV> traitors

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:50:43 EDT

<snip> My general rule from dealing with Corvette folks in the past is, the
difference between a corvette and a porcupine is that the porcupine has all its
pricks on the outside. Starting out with "if you don't own a corvette you
aren't worth talking to". <unsnip>
You aren't alone in your feelings, Hank. When I drive my '65 Corvette I get
it all the time.  Many people either go out of their way to be rude or want to
race me just so they can say "I beat a Corvette".  I guess it's a combination
of jealousy and a reaction to some past experience they had with a Corvette
owner.  OTOH, when I drive one of my Corvairs, I always (ALWAYS!) get a string
of compliments and "thumbs-up".  Oddly, I get the most reaction with my '67
white/blue sedan!

Life in the Corvette world:  Sometimes, as I read the monthly NCRS magazine,
I get so angry I just have to put it down for a bit.  The insane prices and
ridiculous fetish with "matching numbers" just takes all the joy out of the
hobby.  I have expressed some of this here on VV.  The growing interest in
"numbers" in the Corvair world just makes me shiver. These days, it takes so much to
enter the Corvette hobby, especially for the mid-year (63-7) models that no
"youthful" owners can enter the realm. My car has increased in "value" fivefold
in 12 years. That's actually not a good thing considering the long run.   Of
course, there is no "Corvette-god" directing any of this, it's just the
combined movement of a herd and no one can do anything about it.

I agree with Mark though; I hate to see these rare parts moving away from our
world to the Corvette world.  Thier impact is far greater on our relativley
simple cars.  Part of what bothers me is that I remember that someone (here on
VV) contacted the FL guy and he indicated that he was NOT collecting columns
for Corvette use.  For the moment, all we can do is to either not sell for
Corvette use or step-up pay the price they are willing to pay. Bummer.

Craig Nicol
'65 Corvette FI, tele
'65 Corsa vert 180, tele
'66 Monza 140 FI