<VV> Re: the find

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:58:29 EST

In a message dated 12/1/04 2:31:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
m.j.murphy@comcast.net writes:

> Ah ha!  Another one!  I'd be really interested in any information you can
> come up with on this un-numbered block.  I have one of those myself and
> couldn't find a thing to even imply any were released without stampings.
> The replacement block should be an "XX" I believe, but still has it's
> production stamp (I've seen a few of those).

Mark,
The Chevrolet liturature is very sparse concerning these engines, but here is
what I know.....

Replacements were available in two forms.

1) There were just the crankcases that came with cranks and cams (several
different types depending on the components. even some cases without cranks.).
These as far as I know had NO data stamped on the cases. So therefore they were
blank unless the installing mechanic decided to place something there.

2) There were maybe 10 different types replacement engines available over the
years. These came complete, except for sheetmetal. So these could be
identified as 80 hp or 110 hp for example, as appropriate for how they were built.
These engines had a T----XXX type code stamped on them. The problem is that there
never was a published code sheet to identify what was what. In addition, some
of these engines also had another code of CE---------- included after the
previous code.

If you find any more information I'd like to know about it.

Regards,
Bob Helt