<VV> RE: Lift flippin' Corvairs

mopar@jbcs2.net mopar@jbcs2.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:05:56 -0500

My personal lift in my garage is a single post center lift, lifted corvairs
with it for the past 15 years, no problem, even dropped out front
suspensions and changed them without a problem of weight shifting. Years
ago though when I worked in a garage, I had my Corvair 150 powered Myers
Manx dune buggy which I put on the single post lift. As I was raising the
car, about 3/4 of the way up it started going over backwards, I let go of
the lift controls and grabbed the tie rods and kept it from going
over..........only problem was, I now could not let go of the tie rods!
Stayed there for quite awhile as it was Sunday and though I was open, I was
by myself.................friend of mine stopped in, he laughed for quite
awhile before letting the car down for me.

Over the years, we did semi-drop a car or 2 due to the fact we needed to
raise the pads to act as spacers to do work on exhaust or driveshaft, these
pads were a bit tippy. Sometimes we have to use them for clearance on low
cars, or 4x4s.

Gary Swiatowy

From: "Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corp." <vairtec@optonline.net>
To: RoboMan91324@aol.com, virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Re:  Lift flippin' Corvairs

At 12:22 PM 12/2/2004, RoboMan91324@aol.com wrote:

>Anyway, with so much weight in the rear of our Corvairs, is it possible to
>have a similar problem if the pads are poorly placed?

Yes!  A Corvair placed on such a lift (or, truth be told, any lift that
lifts the frame rather than the wheels or suspension points) can flip off
the lift backwards if the front suspension crossmember is removed.  Using
the lift at Ableson's Automotive I was able to demonstrate this by lifting,
with one finger, the front end of a Corvair on the lift with the
crossmember removed.  Would not have wanted to remove the fuel tank at that
point...

Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec@optonline.net

http://mail2web.com/ .