<VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1468 - 9 msgs

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:40:08 -0500

Concerning effect of Pertronix (I) on tach in Corsa: it appeared to me that
my tach reading was affected in a constant (I don't remember which) way.
Slightly slow or fast. I never noticed my tach needle floating, not with the
Pertronix, nor with points. Never I've never had that kind of points
problem. If you want an accurate tach, I'd suggest you recalibrate it with
the Pertronix in place - I believe it affects the reading. Of course, if
your tach needle is floating, I guess you can't calibrate it.
     I went back to points - I don't drive THAT much, anyway, and I don't
mind changing points every few years.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Anderson, Dwight M
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:09 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #1468 - 9 msgs

Hello,
   After reading the posts about plugs and ignitions, I have a question
regarding Petronix ignitions. I have hooked 12 volts to my unit as
instructed. On my Dad's Spyder I was temporarily hooking 12V from the
battery and it worked fine(of course it would not shut off). One day I
happened to start it just with voltage from the coil and I was surprised it
started. I did not have a meter so I do not know if the coil voltage is
actually 12V on the Spyder or if I am lucky(or unlucky as I understand that
it should not run on less than 12V). Is there a resistor wire in the coil
feed? Also on my 140 Corsa with Petronix, the tach needle floats around like
it would if there was a problem with the points. There is no running problem
when this occurs, but it makes me think maybe one is coming. Any thoughts?

                                                            Thank you,

                                                            Mitch Anderson