<VV> Changing emergency brake cable on an early

JRVIDRINE@aol.com JRVIDRINE@aol.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:11:18 EST

Folks,

The emergency brake cable recently broke on my 62 Monza with a powerglide.
Apparently it had broken before and a piece had been spliced in by the original
owner or a mechanic.  I have a new replacement cable from Clarks and was in
the process of changing it out.  In any case everything went well until I got
to the nylon wheel attached to the steering column tube.  It is at the bottom
of the steering column and in a very tight place.  Is the a trick to this?  I
will have to remove the cotter pin from the solid piece that the wheel rides on
so the wheel can be raised up and the cable placed into the groove and then
dropped down so the guard secures it.  The fuse block is in the way.  Should
this be removed and how?  Also is it possible to drop the steering column tube
from the dash allowing it to rotate downward without damage?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Randy Vidrine
62 Corvair coupe