<VV> Re:Shipping-NO CORVAIR

Gary Swiatowy mopar@jbcs2.net
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:12:05 -0500

> From: Corvkid50@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:01:23 EST
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Shipping-NO CORVAIR
>
> I had an interesting thing happen while trying to ship  a small package at
> the UPS Store. The package was less than 5 pounds and the  contents were
worth
> less than $50.00. I was shipping from Wisc to Seattle and  this was on dec
> 20th. After he measured the package and weighed it he told me it  would
not get
> there by Christmas and it would cost about $40.00 to ship it.  After
thinking a
> minute I said I'll drive it out  cheaper than that myself.  Next stop was
> Local Hardware store that a friend ran. I asked him to check it  for me
and he
> told me he could get it there by the 24th and it would cost me a  total of
> $10.02. They recieved the package VIA UPS on the 24th. Never again will  I
go to a
> UPS Store to ship anything. I would like to hear an explanation of the
price
> difference. What a ripoff!!!
> Ron T
> 62  140+
Speaking as a person who quite frequently sells items on e-bay. I have found
that as long as the package was not too heavy or too large you cannot beat
the price or service of the US Postal service. I of course am biased as my
wife works at the local post office, which also makes it especially easy for
me as she can take my packages with her and saves me a trip.
A friend of mine and myself exchange gifts each Christmas, his came fed x
and took 7 days, mine went parcel post US mail and took 3 days.
When you are dealing with a UPS store, you are not dealing directly with
UPS, you are paying a middle man as well as UPS. Even if my wife did not
work for the Post Office, there are a lot more of them around than there are
UPS depots.

Awhile back I sold an item on e-bay where the buyer was adamant that if I
had to ship by the post office he did not want the item period! He has a
personal hate for the post office..........For me to make a trip to the UPS
store figures about an hour of my time for the round trip, not to mention
the inconvenience for me. I told the guy I would have to add an additional
handling charge of $20 to the shipping............he paid it gladly?  Go

Gary Swiatowy