<VV> Re:Intermittent Crank Jam Solved

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:16:45 EST

In a message dated 2/14/2004 10:49:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Recently discovered: the inlet valve on the right carb won't close.
> I have little experience with electric fuel pumps on Corvairs, so when I
> turned on the ignition key and heard (very loudly) the pump running, I
> assumed it was filling the fuel bowls. I found it curious that it didn't
> seem to stop after a reasonable period of time

  Many electric fuel pumps don't stop pumping once the fuel system is totally
primed....you will still hear them running.  Am I safe to assume there's no
fuel pressure regulator on it too?  The vast amount of fuel pressure has cocked
the needle or needles askew within their seats allowing the pump to
continually flood the intakes.  While I've never experienced the lock up syndrome I
have had a carb or 2 give me problems in this manner...beginning with draining
the bowls of fuel because of some other fuel delivery problem.  The float on the
offending carb had dropped to it's lowest level allowing the needle to form
and effective wedge against the float returning to level once fuel came pouring
in.  The engine started but chugged on 3 cylinders and belched out white
smoke like crazy. A couple of sharp smacks on the carbs with a screwdriver handle
and bingo, the needle dislodged itself....float came back to level ...running
as new again.  My next project was to fix the gas gage so I wouldn't run out
of fuel again ;^)

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe