<VV> 63 Spyder starting problems - an update

Jonathan Angier jangier@duke.edu
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:40:51 -0500

Hi Folks--

You may remember a few weeks ago, I solicited for advice on a starting
and flooding problem on my 63 Spyder.  I was (and still am) getting a
stream of gas when I try to start the car.  I got great response and
advice from you then.  Here's what I've done so far.

1.  I noticed an exhaust leak where the crossover joins the inlet pipe
and I've temporarily patched it until I get a crossover pipe (should be
here Monday).  I do believe this was contributing the my problem.  I
haven't detected any other leaks but I have the packings to do the
manifolds when the weather gets a little nicer.

2. I put a fuel pressure regulator on and sent the carb to The
Carbmeister for adjusting.  So I know now the carb is right.  I have an
electric choke, but have not installed it.

3.  I put new plugs in and a new distributor rotor (it had a  small
piece broken). The old plugs were relatively new, but appeared to be
really carbonized and some were wet with gas.  The plug wires are
relatively new and I haven't changed them because they appear to be
still fine.

4.  I tested the return line and it's working fine.

You may recall that I have a high performannce distributor (not a turbo)
but it has a turbo distributor retard so the distributor is incorrect
for the engine and the incorrect distributor has an incorrect (for the
distributor) turbo retard instead of an advance.  (Confused yet???)  I
also found out that the distributor is installed 180 degrees backwards.
 I've ordered a turbo distributor from Dale Manufacturing and he expects
to have one ready pretty soon.  I haven't tried to turn the current
distributor around and won't.  I'll wait for the new one.

So here's what's going on:

Now....the car will start right up when it's cold---like only a few
turnovers, which was unheard of  before, BUT ONLY if I hold the pedal to
the floor (open the choke).  If the choke is closed, it won't begin to
fire and gas still comes pouring out the carb bore.

Once I have it started it won't idle.  Up to about 2,800 rpms, it runs
like crap, I get lots of gas smoke and gas comes out the carb when it
gets close to idle speed...definitely getting too much gas.  At about
2,800 to 3,000 rpms, it smooths out nicely and runs like a top.  I
haven't taken it higher than 3,000 because of the incorrect distributor
on the turbo engine.

I don't know what to do next exceptt to wait for the distributor and
hope that works.  Also, I can't be completely confident of the timing
now because it won't idle and the last time I timed it, it was before I
mistakenly put the retard on (before I knew it was incorrect) and threw
the old advance away because it was full of gas when I took it off and I
figured there's no way I would need it for antyhhing.

Any new or different thoughts on the situation would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

JCA