<VV> Carburetor Adjustments Including Balancing

Ronald Harvey w4rrh@charter.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:42:40 -0500

Charles
Following is a procedure that "Smitty" gave me.  I used it for adjustments
and balancing of the carburetors and it worked very good.  Of course, he had
to loan me a flow meter.
Ron

Ronald R. Harvey
phone (757) 357-2660
web page www.qsl.net/w4rrh
EMAIL w4rrh@wt4ra.org   ALTERNATE EMAIL w4rrh@qsl.net

 Any questions about this.  Just ask.      Smitty
           Synchronization

 If the engine mechanical and tuneup condition is not up to par, then
don't waste your time adjusting carbs.
 Tools needed,   a small but fairly long flat blade screwdriver.  A
tuneup tachometer.  A flow meter.  A small rubber band.
1 . Remove air cleaner assys.  Pull and plug the vacuum hose going to the
distributer.  Remove the clip at the top of the left carb link where
attached to the cross shaft arm.  Hook a rubber band under the throttle
lever and over the end of the cross shaft so as to hold that carb in the
idle position.  (The throttle shaft and spring will be left hooked up to
hold the right carb in the idle position).  Connect the tachometer.
2 . With the engine running adjust the idle/air screw for each carb for
maximum rpm by turning them in or out.  During this process adjust
idle/speed screws as necessary, working toward your (target) idle speed.
Repeat the process again using idle/air screws to maximize rpm and
idle/speed screws to set proper rpm.
3 . Next move flow meter from carb to carb using idle/speed screws as
necessary to obtain matched flow on each.  When air flows are matched at
the correct rpm you are done with adjustments (on the carbs) .
4 . Remove the rubber band and reconnect the left carb link, pulling up
on the link while checking the fit of the adjustable swivel into the hole
in the cross shaft arm.  It is desireable for the swivel "pin" to touch
the bottom of the hole to compensate for linkage slop and insure that the
right carb "leads" the left as it is the vacuum advance operating carb.
Reinstall the link retainer clip.
 Remove the tunup instruments.  Unplug and reinstall the vacuum advance
hose.  Reinstall the aircleaner system.
5.  Any adjustments made to engine speed after this must be made equally
to both.

                                                   Smitty