<VV> EM Rear Axle Bearing

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:09:57 -0800

Well Larry, I don't know how they could be getting by with these bearings.
Maybe they have really stiff suspensions with no toe-in/toe-out at all.
Maybe they are show cars that don't get driven.   As you are aware, in order
to set the rear toe-in/toe-out on an early model, you put shims between the
transmission and bracket.  This requires the axle to move in an additional
axis of rotation that a standard bearing just can't do.  The "Green" bearing
has one axis of rotation like any other standard wheel bearing.  The axle
needs to move in this additional axis at both the u-joint and bearing end.
Due to the design of the corvair rear lower control arm, toe-in and toe-out
is affected as well as camber throughout the travel of the rear suspension.
This would put the "Green" bearing in a bind if the suspension moved at all
even if toe-in/toe-out was set perfect at the curb.  Being that rear bearing
is the only thing holding the axle in on an early model, one would be taking
a risk with one's life to try using a standard bearing like the "Green".
Probably aren't too many people around to report the failures because they
didn't live to tell of it!!!

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd 3.89
1963 Spyder, Restored (no engine yet)