<VV> EM Rear Axle Bearing

Larry Shapiro pqdollars@adelphia.net
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:39:10 -0800

Hi Dan,
I am aware of all you are saying..
I just tell the facts.
I have worked on HUNDREDS of corvairs with at least 1 green bearing on
them...and these customers are always warned about a possible problem.
I still have not heard of one problem yet..
Again..I will never put one on my own corvair,
Larry

Please have a look at our new online catalog !
               www.larryscorvair.com

                 www.pqdollars.com

> Well Larry, I don't know how they could be getting by with these bearings.
> Maybe they have really stiff suspensions with no toe-in/toe-out at all.
> Maybe they are show cars that don't get driven.   As you are aware, in
order
> to set the rear toe-in/toe-out on an early model, you put shims between
the
> transmission and bracket.  This requires the axle to move in an additional
> axis of rotation that a standard bearing just can't do.  The "Green"
bearing
> has one axis of rotation like any other standard wheel bearing.  The axle
> needs to move in this additional axis at both the u-joint and bearing end.
> Due to the design of the corvair rear lower control arm, toe-in and
toe-out
> is affected as well as camber throughout the travel of the rear
suspension.
> This would put the "Green" bearing in a bind if the suspension moved at
all
> even if toe-in/toe-out was set perfect at the curb.  Being that rear
bearing
> is the only thing holding the axle in on an early model, one would be
taking
> a risk with one's life to try using a standard bearing like the "Green".
> Probably aren't too many people around to report the failures because they
> didn't live to tell of it!!!
>
> Dan Kling
> 1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd 3.89
> 1963 Spyder, Restored (no engine yet)
>
> >Message: 5
> >From: "LCP" <larry@larryscorvair.com>
> >To: "corvairs" <lonwall@corvairunderground.com>
> >Cc: "David Baker" <dbaker10@twcny.rr.com>,
> >   "VV \(E-mail\)"
> >  <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
> >Subject: Re: <VV> EM Rear Axle Bearing
> >Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:45:34 -0800
> >
> >I do exist..I just am just too busy to respond as I used to, because I am
> now
> >down to working 18 hours a day...
> >I hope soon it will get down to 16 :)
> >
> >I have heard all the bad reports about Green bearings for years now.
> >I wanted to give them a test to see how they would work.
> >I have 2 customers who demanded Green bearings ,so after telling them the
> >reports..they bought them anyway.
> >They are both very happy to have a few years of use on them with no
> problems.
> >Lots of my buggy customers also use them with no problems.
> >In 32 years of dealing with Corvairs,I have only seen 1 failure of a
Green