<VV> List change

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:19:25 -0500

Bryan, thanks from all of us for being on top of this and dealing with it.
Your time is valuable and we appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  In
particular, I appreciate the spam filtering.

Regards,

Norm Witte

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-virtualvairs@corvair.org
[mailto:owner-virtualvairs@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Bryan Blackwell
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 7:52 PM
To: Jim Burkhard
Cc: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> List change

Well, that wouldn't get the "Nigerian scam" messages, which have been
explicitly noted by our ISP, nor would it block most of the porn
messages (they use embedded URLs), *but* it would block the folks who
post with, say, a vcard as their signature.  However, we (the vv-help
guys) will be able to approve posts that are legitimate on a case by
case basis (this is noted in my previous message) so this solution will
allow posting by non-subscribers, just in a less-than-timely manner.
Obviously that will be a bit more work for us, but I need to deal with
this *right now*.  AOL is sending abuse complaints on a daily basis to
our ISP (I just got over 100 from the last week or so) and that needs
to *stop* - the solution needs to be 100% effective.  For the longer
term I will check out a couple of possible solutions on the new box
that I already had in mind, but the spammers have forced my hand.

--Bryan