<VV> JetHot coatings on turbo exhausts

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:26:49 -0400

I did all the pipes on mine with the exception of the exhaust logs, and if
I had to do it again, I'd do the exhaust logs as well.  (I painted them
white with VHT paint.  It seems to be mostly intact after 8k miles.)  The
cost was reasonable -- I think they charge about $10 per foot of
pipe.  Well worth it in my option for appearance, longevity, and some
performance gains.

So far, the JetHot coatings seem to be living up to their claims.  No rust,
some discoloration from paint/grease/road grime, but the coatings are intact.

I can't really give any "before and after" data because I totally
overhauled the engine at the same time.  But I can provide well
instrumented data that shows I get ~ 1/2 psi boost at the top of first
gear, considerably more in second and peak out at about 10.5 psi in both
third and fourth.  (This is on a basically stock, '66 180 turbo.  It's
bored 0.040" over, forged pistons, and total seal rings, but cam,
compression, heads, carb and turbo are stock.)

Jim Simpson, '66 Corsa turbo coupe.