<VV> numerous problems- help needed

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:37:11 -0400

Today, after 8 months of being headless, Stinky ( name of car assigned by
wife) is back on the road.  Rebuilt heads by Ken Hand and rebuilt carbs by
Grant Young.  Both great people and products!

At first start up (after a dead battery), I had a number of little problems;
one fuel connector needed tightening, fuel pump leaking around the top,
which cleared up with a twist of a screw, and oil dripping from under/around
the oil pan, which I haven't figured out yet.  Maybe the gasket is dry from
sitting empty all this time, but it didn't leak before and all I did was
check the torque on the bolts.

The 2 major items that concerned me was a knocking sound coming from the
right side of the engine.  Even after running for a half hour, it was still
there.  I turned the engine off and ate dinner.  When I started it up again,
the knock was gone and the engine was running smoother.  I just hope it
stays that way.

The other problem is the idle.  I can not get it below 1150 RPM.  I have
even backed the idle adjustment screw out to where they are not touching and
it won't come down.  I'm using a tach/dwell meter, since the one in the car
reads 500 RPM when it's turned off.  I have used the carb setup instruction
from HTKYCA along with those in the assembly manual, which is pretty much
the same.  The RPMs were lower (around 850 RPM), until I adjusted the
air/fuel mixture screws.  Since then I can't get it to idle down where it
should.  ANY SUGGESTIONS??

The car ran fine on a road test.  The only other problem noted was a little
surging while driving around 25 to 40 mph, where you just had your foot on
the gas, just enough to maintain speed.  SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED HERE ALSO!!

I want to thank all who have provided answers and suggestions to my numerous
newbie questions over the past 8 months.  Now if only someone would write a
Step by Step, Idiot's Guide to Re-installing Shrouds.  I spent more time on
them than anything else I did.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member