<VV> Re: A 60 question

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:58:50 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2004 3:07:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> >>I recently became the owner of a 60 sedan built in Sept 59. It has a few
> >>oddities as 60's are prone to have, but noticed it didn't have the chrome
> >>(stainless) license plate surround and no apparent way to install
> one.Anyone
> >>venture
> >>as to whether this is true on the early earlies?
> >>  Ed in Florida
> >>

> >Ed,
> > The annodized aluminium rear licence plate surround first showed up on the
>
> >60 Monza.  EM 500 and 700 models never got one.
> >

> Humm...  the '60 Monza in the driveway doesn't have one and it was an
> all-original car.  Likewise the '61 Monza a friend has.   And, on both cars
> there are also no fastener holes to secure the escutcheon if it had
> originally been there but for instance removed for some reason.    I think
> we'll find that the escutcheon was first used on the '62 900s.   The 700
> and 500 models through '64 didn't use the escutcheon.
>

> tony..

To Ed and Tony and anyone interested in this subject,
As usual I've jumped the gun again.  Nothing I can find indicates the use of
the licence plate surround prior to 1962.  It looked very much like all
Monza's had them due to Ed's relatively unmolested '60 Monza having one.  Look at
your copy of the Franklin Mint model and there it is!  Further investigation
shows that Tony is correct.  It first shows up in factory photos of '62 Monza's.
Interesting to note that my '63 dealer presentation book shows the escutcheon
as offered as an accessory for lesser models yet there is no accompanying
code for such an option.  OK...back to working on my '60...with no escutcheon or
outside mirrors ;^)

Bruce Webster