<VV> Secondary Carb Problems

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:57:34 EDT

I am writing in advance (and with some embarrassment for not catching it
sooner) in case anyone (including a couple I know of) is having problems with
secondary carbs throttle plates sealing. I have had some complaints (polite ones,
however) about some "sucking" carbs. It took a while to figure out what was
going wrong, but I chanced onto it yesterday when checked out a recent shipment
of brass throttle/choke shaft screws, and compared them to some older ones.
The supplier inadvertently (they say) shortened them by about half a thread or
so, or changed the taper of the head slightly. (I am returning them). I tested
several and noticed that some (but not all) throttle plates could be moved
(forced) even with the screws tightened with Loctite. The screws are not long
enough to "squeeze" the throttle shaft inot the plate. This can let the plate
move off center in the bore and create a nasty air "leak." Today I changed to a
slightly longer steel screw until I can get this sorted out. (I like it and
might switch.) While my customers know that they can return any defective or
suspect carb for repair at my expense, I thought others might run into these
screws in their kits or rebuild work. You can recognize them when installed as they
barely clear the throttle shaft and don't really have enough showing to peen
over properly. They are okay for the choke shaft, however. Hope this well help
save my reputation :-). Thanks for the space.
The (embarrassed) Carbmeister