<VV> batteries

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:28:45 -0700

At 10:12 hours 07/02/2004 -0400, Bill Elliott wrote:
>I concur with JR (though the batteries are different depending on your
location.)

>Remember when Sears Diehard had a lifetime warranty? Made by Johnson
Controls. Sears changes vendors to Exide...had to quickly drop the lifetime
>warranty.
>
>I try to buy only Johnson Control batteries. Most Walmart batters are JC
(though I think they area lower quality JC) while most Sears (at least the
ones
>I've seen) are still Exide.
>
>Check the label closely; they usually say.
>
>I've been pretty much buying the cheap Walmart batteries ($35?)  for
several years now and have been happy with the longevity for what I've paid...

I bought a type 51 from Advance some years back, stuck it in my '60.   It
went sour after about two years... kinda like the Exide in the ragtop.   It
still had some warranty left on it but I didn't bother, used it as a core
for a battery I got from Wal-Mart.   I'm not sure what sort of battery it
is, shaped kinda odd and it has a ribbed bottom rail on each side, carry
handle, and it manages to squeeze into the '60 battery tray with some help
with the hold-down.   I don't rememberer what number it was and I bought it
by measuring it with a ruler and it's not a 51 or a 53 but it does kinda
fit and that's what I was looking for, don't care what number is on it.
It had a three year warranty, was cheap, 29.95 and it's already four years
old and still cranks the hell out of the car.   If it ever dies I'll go get
another one like it.     I won't be buying any more Econocraft batteries
either, got one to replace the dead Exide I'd had lackluster luck with.
Didn't last more than a year anna half with a pro-rated three year
warranty, I figured another one wouldn't be worth the remainder of what I'd
have to pay, so I stole the battery out of my Yugo GVX (Delco) for the time
being and stuck it in the ragtop.   I'll get Mr Yugo a new one next week.

tony..