<VV> batteries

Jim Thomas b74eqcm@hotmail.com
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:14:49 -0400

Greetings VV!

Batteries are made by only 4 manufacturers in the US anymore. They are
re-branded for dozens of companies. Just because there are 4 manufacturers
doesn't mean there are 4 quality levels. Johnson Controls is at the top of
the list (Interstate being their prime brand) but they also make some
re-branded lower quality units.

I was an Interstate dealer for many years in the business I managed, and
there are no better in my opinion. Whenever I had a problem with a
customer's battery, I would simply replace it, and Interstate would credit
me without any hassle. It rarely happened.

Johnson Control batteries are date coded by a letter and number. The letter
indicates month, the number year. For example, a battery manufactured in
June 2004 would have a date code of F4 ("F" equalling the sixth letter for
the sixth month). It is stamped into the case. Most battery manufacturers
use a similar system.

Exides are crap. Deka's are a bit better. Diehards used to be great, now
crap.

Another thing. As an Interstate dealer, they wouldn't let you keep a battery
on the shelf that was over 6 months old. When it got that old, the delivery
guy pulled it and replaced it with a new one. I often look at the dust
covered batteries at Walley World and wonder just how they are when you buy
them....

Jim Thomas

03 Monte Carlo SS Pacecar
98 Dutchman 25' camper
95 K1500
94 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD
69 Buick Skylark
65 Monza Vert 110/pg
63 Greenbrier 80/pg

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE