<VV> Re: A 60 question, fender mounted mirrors

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 07:58:34 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/2004 10:15:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:
Tony writes:

> Anybody else ever see an early Vair with dealer mounted mirrors on the tops
> of the front fenders, just ahead of the windshield bow?   I have to admit,
> they kinda grow on you after you think about it a while, kinda makes me
> think of the mirrors on 1960 Oldsmobiles...  and the holes are still there,
> wouldn't be hard to "unfill" them and mount two '60 mirrors back on the
> fenders again, and I haven't yet drilled any holes in the door to mount a
> mirror there.

  The '60 500 I'm working on had an original mirror (same as 59-60 Chevy)
mounted on the fender.  The positioning made it almost impossible to see out of
and a pain to adjust.  I never did like the look although I could see where 2
would make the car look somewhat balanced.  Once the mirror head loosened and
started flopping around the writing was on the wall.  I welded the holes up and
will drive mirrorless until a replacement can be mounted on the door.  Clarks
sells them

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe