<VV> 60 Mirrors

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 12:26:28 -0400

Yes, my 61 Monza came from the dealer (I believe - we bought it used in
1961) with a fake radio with no enclosure like stock - just a flimsy plastic
dickie around the edges of the front. And the radio itself was some
nonbrand, possibly Audiovox, which became SORT of a brand in later decades.
Complete with cheap-o antenna, all of which sounded crummy next to the 1963
Delco kit I acquired and installed, again complete with antenna. The cheap-o
didn't even have pushbuttons. What a DIFFERENCE the stock radio made,
particularly after I scored a 1961 faceplate for it. I BELIEVE the 1961
Delco might have been a tube-type radio, but this 1963 was "solid-state"
(wow!), and sounded great until the volume control burnt out (got noisy).
Then I bought the factory's kit for fixing that (a capacitor and a new
volume control), and the radio was trouble-free ever after that.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C and Custom Autosound AM/FM stereo
cassette

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Roy & Kay Lambrecht
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 8:34 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 60 Mirrors

Hi all,
I had the opportunity to buy a 60 Corvair new from the dealer in early 1960.
ordered it from the dealer & it took about two months to get. The mirror was
on the left door, next to the vent window. It was a comfort & convenience
item
where you had to pay extra for this option. If you look close, in the
picture
below, you can see it on the left door. Having worked for a Chevrolet dealer
in the early 60's, I can relate to options that where installed by
technicians
maybe not caring where it gets mounted. In the dealership where I worked,
even
the radios where deleted on an order so that the dealer could install their
own & make money on the deal! These were the Motorola radios that were junk.
No reception or sound quality. my two cents.

Picture of 60 Corvair(Wish I looked like that Now!)
http://www.angelfire.com/co3/corvair/60corvair-1.jpg

Roy Lambrecht
64 Monza Convert