<VV> Bolting a LM flywheel

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 01:45:40 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/04 6:10:17 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
jeightee@comcast.net writes:

> Also read the Tech Guide about
> bolting the flywheel myself. I am thinking about doing this  and would
> like to hear the pros and cons from someone that has done it before.

Hi John,
Easy enough. But may I suggest a little diagnostic work first. Before you
broke the starter, did you notice a rattling noise from the flywheel at an idle
speed? Maybe it would be a good idea to get the engine started and see if you
have this noise. If you do, then see if it goes away when you depress the
clutch pedal. If so then you probably have a bad FW. If no noise the FW is probably
still good, but may fail in the future. If still not sure, remove the FW and
while holding it on edge, tap it with a hammer. If is goes thud then it's bad.

Now, before you drill out any rivets, drill the head off of just one and
using a punch tap the rivet out from the FW. Inspect the rivet. Is it whole, or
does it have a groove worn on the side (cutting it into two pieces)? You may
even have a problem getting the rivet out if this groove is deep because it will
cause the rivet to hang up. The trick is to jiggle the parts of the FW to get
then to line up so the rivit will easily enter and be removed. When that
happens, then the FW is back to its original position. If not, then the FW may be
unbalanced and will vibrate when installed.

Once the pieces of the Fw are all lined up (i.e., aligned) then see if a 1/4
inch bolt will fit Ok. In fact if this is a LM FW, you can tap the FW and
thread the bolt into that hole. A nut will be nice add'l security. Be sure to use
the bolts supplied by Clark's so that the heads don't hit the bolts holding
the bell housing on. If you use standard bolts the heads will probably hit. If
these bolts are too loose, then go to 5/16 in. bolts and do the same. If all
goes as described, the Fw should remain in balance. If not you will have to have
it rebalanced.
Good Luck,
Bob Helt