<VV> steering wheel and convertible towing

Terry Kalp tkalp@cox.net
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:00:22 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <Sethracer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> steering wheel

<Smit>

 If you are trying to bolt-on a complete 64 wood wheel
> assembly to your 66, my advice would be to sell it to an eager 64 owner
and buy
> another complete 66 Corvair! (64 wood wheels are scarce.) - Seth Emerson

Just to show you how far some '64 owners will go to get a '64 wood wheel:
This morning AeroNed and I hitched up the car trailer to the Woodie wagon
and drove four hours to Oakley, Kansas to pick up a parts '64 Convertible,
because it had a factory wood wheel adapter.  After we found the address in
Oakley and met the seller, he said the car was stored in a pasture, where he
keeps all his "collector cars".   We followed the seller out of town on a
couple miles of pavement, then turned on a sand road for awhile and stopped
in front of what was obviously the city landfill. Ned and I joked about
pulling the car out of  landfill . . . until the seller opened the gate . .
. to the adjacent pasture and led us down a pair of ruts to a little valley
between the landfill and a large feedlot.  According to Ned the valley was
really a "Holler" and that the Lone Haranguer would back him up.

Since this is a parts convertible there was a top frame but no fabric . . .
but it was complete with drivetrain.  Remembering all the discussions on VV
about trailering a convertible it took awhile to decide which direction to
load the car for the 4 hour 70 mph trip home. The decision was made to put
the top frame down and load the convertible on backwards, it should pull
fine . . . but we were risking blowing out the windshield.  Cutting out the
windshield was discussed, but we decided to "live-on-the-edge" and test the
theories.  Starting out slow . . . we gradually built up to 70 mph, the
windshield stayed put for the entire trip home.  It should be noted that it
was a still day with no wind (unusual in Kansas), there was a two foot
square hole in the driver's floorboard the released some of the air
(according to AeroNed) and the windshield rubber was hard, but not brittle.
Has anyone had a windshield blow out while towing a Corvair convertible
backwards (maybe more likely with a LM?)

Terry Kalp