<VV> removing stuck pistons

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:27:16 -0500

A short length of 2X6 and a really BIG hammer?

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
----- Original Message -----
From: <vzd1s4am@verizon.net>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 1:21 PM
Subject: <VV> removing stuck pistons

> Good morning everyone.
>
> I have been tearing down the 102 hp I was talking about during the
convention time. I noticed the inside of the enginee looked to be visually
sound. The pistons have frozen in the jugs. I tried oiling them down for a
couple of weeks and test turning.

> So this morning I went and pulled the heads. What a mess. Two pistons were
fill with sand, gunk, plus the oil I added. The other four came apart fine.
Now what is the best way to get the last two pistons out of the jugs? bear
in mind I am probably going to make an ULTRA engine out of it so I dont't
wnt to pull the rods from the crank or anything like that if I can avoid it.
The clearances appear to be in spec.

> I am kicking around the idae of using heat. But could that cause trouble?
>
> Also through a little dealing I am going to bring home a parts car. EM
coupe with a four speed. there isn't a lot left to it except the suspension,
body panels, and the trans. I am going to use it to add a four speed to the
four door and then panels are getting cut off for the convertible. I am
geting to bring this mess for 80 bucks. When I get it, does anyone in
Riverside County CA need some EM pieces? I don't want the body to sit around
too long. I may try to salvage it depending on the title status. I think it
has long since disappeared.