<VV> Steering wander - gas gauge

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:39:44 -0400

Maybe it's me being used to the tight, variable ratio steering of the new
cars, but when I drive my Corvair, there seems to be a lot ( 3 to 4 inches)
of play in the steering wheel when I am driving down the road at 50 mph.
When the car is sitting still, there is less than an inch of play, before
the wheels start turning one way or the other.  The car has old 9 (no idea
how old) 175-80-13 radials on the front and newer, but still at least 5
years old 185-80-13 in the rear.

I haven't driven this car probably more than 200 miles since I got it last
September, since it dropped a valve seat 3 days after I got titled and on
the road.  It's been sitting up on jackstands in my garage up until last
week.  I've only driven it three times since then, since it still has some
carb problems that need to be taken care of, but today I did a round trip of
12 miles to get some gas  for it, and I noticed the play in the wheel.

Is this normal for old cars to steer this way?  I can't remember if that's
the way they were or not - it's been too long.  I can remember some of the
old Chrysler products with power steering feeling this way.

Another thing, when I parked the car in the garage, with the back end up on
jackstands, the gas gauge was working correctly.  I went to get gas today,
because I thought it was just about out of gas, but it would only take 9
gallons of gas to fill it.  Now the gas gauge only goes up to 3/4 full.
Could something have happened to the float sitting that long with the rear
up in the air?

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member