<VV> Re: Electric die grinder

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:50:36 -0400

I've used Dremel Moto-Tool grinders for 4 decades, and installed many an
a/c system in late Corvairs with one. Burned out several over the years,
as slicing through auto sheet metal wasn't in its design criteria. The
ones from the '60's had a decent if clumsy chuck. However, in the last
20 years the chucks have been junk, even though it's been redesigned a
couple of times. Otherwise they're just fine for light hobby purposes,
like working on model cars. And they are available with all manner of
attachments and cutting tools.

But if you are into serious work, the air grinder is the only way to go.
I can testify to that, being a diemaker for the last 30 years. In
diemaking, using a die grinder is at least half of the job. Used all
sizes, from 1/4" to 8" hand grinders, and larger machine grinders too.

-Mark