<VV> FC - Dual Master

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:31:59 -0500

OK,  Almost all the parts have arrived.  One more bend in the brake line to
show up and it is promised for tomorrow.

This all started because the gas tank in the Rampside developed a slight
weep.  Ya' know how one thing leads to another?  A replacement tank has been
prepped and is ready to install along with a tested sending unit.  While the
tank is out, why not do those rusty looking brake lines.  If replacing all
the brake lines, may as well do hoses, probably rebuild wheel cylinders - at
least look them over and, oh yeah... always though about putting a dual
master in the Rampy... NOW would be the time.

It will happen very soon and I've not yet decided what brake fluid to use.
I think I want to stay away from DOT3 because of the internal corrosion
aspect.  I've used DOT 5 - in a '66 convert I no longer own.  I was happy
enough with that, except that it seemed a bit pricey and not always readily
available.

So, I'm trying to decide DOT 4 or DOT 5?  Others?  Is there DOT 5A and 5B?
I know that I've seen this discussion in the past (yrs ago) on VV, but it is
a bit foggy at this point.  Without trying to start a 10 day thread OR a
flame war, could you folks offer up suggestions about your favorite and why.

It is unlikely that I'll be racing the Rampside, although I did autocross it
once.  That was interesting!  I typically drive the truck when the weather
is too cool for the convert, but staying away from the SALT season.  So
Spring and Fall, depending upon temps and precipitation.  Probably in the
range of 3,000 to 6,000 miles per year.

I'll be happy to report back my final decision once it is made.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR