<VV> EUM Knock--- NOT GOOD

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 22:19:33 -0400

All

Split the case halves tonight. Main Bearings # 2 and 3 have odd wear patterns.
One side of the bearing shows lots of contact, and the other side shows almost
no contact.  Had us scratching our heads for about 5 minutes......

Then we decided to take out the bearings.  The # 2 and 3 Main bearing journals
in the block BOTH had a lip on one edge of the journal (on one case half) to a
thickness where you can catch it with your fingernail. I would estimate
between .005  and .008 thick.  and it was SO obvious that nobody could
possibly have missed it when the bearings were installed---I am no machinist
or a certified mechanic and when the main bearing came off I asked Eric--What
the hell is this???

My not so educated assumption was the knock could also have been coming from
the flexing of the main bearing. When we poured out the oil into jars for
disposal tonight, there were in both our opinions more sparklies than I wanted
to see.

My also not so educated guess as to, How the hell did this happen???  is
possibly a bent crankshaft.  The crankshaft is going to Charlotte Crankshaft
in the morning to be miked and checked to rule out a bent shaft.

My cousin George Dickel is callin' me.....Not even a weekly call, but I  can
hear him pretty loud tonight.   Engine from donor car in shop to be stripped
for it's block.

One FC Block---Make a dandy boat anchor---Make offer

HANK