<VV> sheetmetal question--now more than ever!

BEllison@bbafiberweb.com BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:37:51 -0400

> Actually, the thought has occurred to me of taking off the
> transmission and turning the engine up on the bellhousing,

And differential...  Careful of the snout coming out of the diff.  If it
breaks, the diff must be disassembled to reinstall a new one.

> since then I could remove and clean the lower sheetmetal,
> reseal the logs, have better access to the pushrod tubes for

w/o an engine stand, seems the best way.  Engine stand is definitely the way
to go - easier on the knees/back, better access, etc.  Worth $100 for that
that and a stool, IMHO.

> resealing them, etc..  I did not drain the oil before taking
> the engine down, however, and doing it on the lift might be a
> trick. Do I necessarily have to drain the oil to keep from
> having four quarts find their way to my garage floor?

Can you jack up the engine on 2x4's to gain access to plug?

Whatever you do, don't leave the oil in when you turn the engine up on the
bellhousing.  There's enough to fill up the lower cyls (5&6), which seeps
thru the rings, and will fill the chambers.  Causes an awful mess in the car
when you realize it's locked up, and gotta pull a plug and spin the engine,
and push all the oil out.  This might only occur if you leave the engine
sitting there several days.  Not sure how long it takes.

Don't ask me how I know !!

> Thanks,
>
> John McMahon

You're welcome ;)

Barry
65 Corsa
61 Lakewood
Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.