<VV> Re: Oil Pressure Switch

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:55:33 EDT

vairologist@juno.com writes:
Have the engine running and shut the key
off.  Immediately as soon as it stops, turn it back on again.  Did the
light come on or did you have to wait a while?  That "while" is exactly
how long your engine will be starving for oil before the light warns you.
I have found switches that took over 40 seconds to put the light on.

Most of the OEM switches won't close until very small PSI - 2-3 on some. On
race cars, we call these low-PSI switches "Engine Destruct Indicators" They
tell you why your engine just blew. If your engine oiling system is a bit better
in pressure, you can buy replacement switches that close at 15 to 17 PSI. That
is what I run on the race car. If that comes on, you have a moment to see
what the heck is happening, maybe check a gauge, and even turn off the motor to
save parts. On a street car, with a standard oil system, the light would stay
on during start-up, until the pressure came up. A hot idle might show a glow as
well. - Seth Emerson