<VV> Bench Bleeding

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:29:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/2004 9:33:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
the.tysons@comcast.net writes:
I get a couple
of piston strokes with no bubbles and then a few bubbles appear.  How do I
know when I'm done?  I've been using slow, complete piston strokes and
allowing the piston to slowing return.

Rick,
That could be part of your problem, using slow, complete piston strokes.
"Most" of the manufacturers of re-man & new master cylinders recommend pushing in
the piston no more than 1 1/2 inches... to push it in until the piston stops
can risk "popping" a cup inside, thereby allowing the MC to by-pass one of the
chambers in a dual chamber MC...
Your best bet is to make sure the reservior is full, and wire the tubes so
that they also stay below the fill line (coat hanger, mechanix wire, anything
you can bend).... take a screwdriver and mark a spot where you KNOW it is no
more than an inch and a half and just watch how far you push it in. NORMALLY it
is about a 15 minute job, but Murphy is always lurking in the shadows...
Make sure the MC is level in the vice, too, otherwise you will have *some*
trapped air taking forever to get out.
Good luck, and don't worry, I've had to replace a bunch of MCs under warranty
just because the "old timers" around here don't read, and sometimes its a
case of they *can't* read, so I go over the directions with them.... I'm a
manager (trainee) at an auto parts place, and we cater to the rural crowd much
better than AutoBone, Retard, Poop Boys, and Oh Reallys...
Sorry... it's just that if they can't find it in the computer they have no
idea how to mic a seal and look it up in a spec book, or cross over another MFG
number... our parts are more expensive, but all together we have over 120
years experience at our counter (Calvin has 40, Billy has 32, Phil has 30, Curtis
has 15, and I have 18)...
Take care, and good luck!
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd... now safe in White Mills
1964 700 sedan 95/pg